Big Mama Chambley's Apple Dapple Cake



Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups of fresh apples chopped fine (3 medium-sized apples)
1 cup of chopped nuts (1/2 cups of pecans, 1/2 cup of English walnuts)
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Directions:

Combine oil and sugar. Mix well. Beat in eggs, Add dry ingredients. Fold in apples and nuts. Add vanilla. Bake 1 hour at 400 degrees.

**Note: To keep nuts and apples from collecting at the bottom of the cake, lightly flour them before adding them to the cake batter. Also, allow the cake to completely cool before trying to remove it from the cake pan. Otherwise, the cake will come apart and this will not make you too happy.


Icing Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Icing Directions:

Combine ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil. Remove from heat. Add vanilla.

** Note: I pour the icing over the cake while the cake remains in the baking pan. I gently pull the cake away from the sides of the baking dish to allow the icing to flow down the sides. I pour the remaining icing on top of the cake. It will puddle, to begin with, but will soak into the cake while the cake is cooling.

**Doug's alterations to the recipe.

I always add an extra egg to the batter. I use a cup each of pecans and a cup of English walnuts. I also add cinnamon because I like the taste of apples and cinnamon. I also use almond flavoring instead of vanilla.

I bake the cake in a bundt cake pan or a tube cake pan.

Comments